PLC – Planar Lightwave Circuit Splitter
- Suitable for multiple operating wavelengths (1260nm – 1650nm); unstinted.
- Equal splitter ratios for all branches.
- Compact configuration; smaller size; small occupation space.
- Good stability across all ratios.
- High quality; low failure rate.
- Complicated production process.
- Costlier than the FBT splitter in the smaller ratios.
FBT – Fused Biconical Splitter
- The product is well-known and is easy to produce, thus reducing cost of production.
- Splitter ratios can be customized.
- Can work on three different operating bands (850nm, 131 Onm, and 1550nm).
- Restricted to its operating wavelength.
- Because of errors in equality insertion loss, the maximum insertion loss will vary depending on the split and increase substantially for those splits over 1:8.
- Because an exact equal ratio cannot be ensured, transmission distance can be affected.
- High temperature dependent loss (TDL). The operating temperature range is 23 °F- 167 °F. Any changes in temperature can affect the insertion loss.
- The larger the split, the larger the encapsulation module.
- Susceptible to failure due to extreme temperatures or improper handling.